Unzip the downloaded package
You can install the theme in one of the following ways:
FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
Download FileZilla, install it, and fill in your server’s FTP information: Host, Username, Password, and Port. After that, connect to your server and copy the non-zipped folder in the /wpcontent/themes/ directory in the WordPress installation of your server.
In the admin dashboard, Go to Appearance > Themes, click the Add New button then Upload Theme & choose the zipped file and wait.
Once uploaded, you can activate your theme.
When your theme is activated for the first time, you will be asked to install some required plugins that will add some functionalities to your theme. Be sure to install them and activate them.
Setting Up Homepage, Blog Page & Contact Page
The first thing to do after that you’ve successfully installed and activated your theme is setting up the homepage and the blog page.
Go to pages > Add New and type in Homepage in the Add New Page Empty Field. Then, on the right side of your screen, select Homepage Template & Click Publish.
Do the same steps for the blog page, except that when it comes to selecting a template, do not select anything. It is not required in this case. Name your page Blog and Publish it.
The final step is to click on Settings > Reading > select A Static Page (select below). And then choose Homepage for Front Page and Blog for Posts Page. Save your changes and you are done.
If your website is empty, which means that you haven’t created a contact page yet. You can create one by going through the same steps when you created your homepage page. Click on Pages > Add New, Type in the name of the page: Contact or Contact Us. And then, under the template, select Contact Page. Publish it and congratulations.
How the Theme Works
- Each article should contain a featured image.
- Each article should be under some certain category/categories.
- The categories that you would like to promote should be selected in the theme options.
Each article should contain a featured image.
The condition number one is to set a featured image for your blog articles. Each article on your blog should contain a featured image in order for it to be beautifully promoted into your website’s homepage. To set a featured image for your blog’s article, when editing, upload your desired image by clicking on Set Featured image, then Upload Files, or by selecting an image from the Media Library if you have it already uploaded.
Each article should be under a certain category.
The second condition is to set some category/categories for your article. Each time you publish a new article, be sure to set it under some category/categories. It’s very easy to set some category/categories for your article. All you have to do is, on edit mode, on the right side of your article, click on +Add New Category (in case there’s no category present) and then activate the checkbox/checkboxes of that/those categories before publishing/updating your article.
The categories that you would like to promote should be selected in the theme options.
All is needed now is, in the theme options, select the categories that you would like to promote on your home page. We have created 6 different options for you. You can drag and drop them by importance. By default, we have set them as follow:
- Slider [configure it and add slides to it.]
- Recent Posts [It’s automatic: you don’t have to do anything]
- Carousel [set a category to it]
- Vertical Images [set a category to it]
- Category Image [set a category to it]
- Category Image Two [set a category to it]
When you install your theme, a message shows up asking you to install a plugin called: Crelly Slider. Once installed and activated. You can add pictures, posts, animations, etc. We have integrated Crelly Slider Plugin into AltavaStar Theme. In order to start adding elements to your slider, click on Crelly Slider > Add Slider. in the Slider’s name type in home. (if you name it something else, it won’t appear on your homepage). You can then customize it as you like. Next, click on Save Settings and then you will be able to add slides by clicking on Edit Slides.
2. Recent Posts
Recent posts will show 5 of your recently published posts. You have to do nothing for this particular one, it will automatically show your latest posts. See the picture below:
The Carousel will show a number of your published posts in an interactive way. To make this work, you need to select, under your theme’s options, select homepage > carousel, from the drop-down, select the category that you would like to promote.
In our demo page, we are promoting Music Category.
4. Vertical Images
Vertical images can promote two categories, one on the left & the other on the right. In AltavaStar Theme Options > Homepage (just like for carousel), select a category for Vertical Images Left and another one for Vertical Images right: in our demo, we are promoting Sport and Technology categories.
5. Category Images
The same principle as the previous one, the same type of configuration is needed. (Category Images Two)
6. Random Articles Carousel
This carousel shows 10 random articles in an interactive way. You can turn it off in AltavaStar Options > Homepage.
Setting Up the Menu
AltavaStar Theme supports 3 menus. 2 on header and 1 on the footer. Primary Menu is at the top of your page, followed by a second one which we called Nav Menu.
Primary Menu can be used for general pages like Homepage, About Us, Contact Us, etc. The second one, Nav Menu, can be used for categories. To start adding menus, in your website’s dashboard, click on Appearance > Menus > Create a New Menu, type in the name of the menu, and then click on Create Menu.
Now you need to select the pages you’d like to add to this menu and then click on Add to Menu, you also need to select the name of the menu before saving it, which is in this case Primary.
The same thing can be applied here to add Nav Menu and Footer Menu.
In the WordPress Dashboard, navigate to Appearance > Widgets & all you need to do is to drag and drop widgets and fill in any required information.
We have created 5 widgets as well as 2 sidebars and 2 footer areas where you can add any widget you like.
The following Widgets can be added to the sidebar:
- *altavastar: Widget Social Icons: Use this widget to show your social network pages.
- *altavastar: Subscribe Plugin: Use this widget to collect emails from users using FeedBurner service.
- *altavastar: Tab Widget: Use this widget to show your latest posts, popular posts and latest comments in a tabbed format.
- *altavastar: Footer Widget Social Icon: Use this widget to show your social network pages.
- *altavastar: Footer Subscribe Plugin: Use this widget to collect emails from users using FeedBurner service.
Notice that, when your left sidebar is activated, and you haven’t added any widget to it yet, your website will look disorganized. That is normal; to fix it, you need to either add widgets to it or deactivate it from your theme options.
For a better-looking website, we suggest activating Fixed Widget on all the Widgets of the Left Sidebar as well as the last widget on the Right Sidebar by clicking on Fixed Widget which is placed at the end of the widget options.
For easy navigation, we have structured AltavaStar Theme options into sections:
- Theme Stylesheet: Select your themes alternative color scheme: We have created 10 different colors.
- Left Sidebar: Enable / Disable the left sidebar.
- Favicon: Upload a custom Favicon: a small icon that shows in front of your website’s address.
- Fixed Navbar: Select to enable/disable a fixed navbar.
- Logo: You can use this to upload your custom logo. (Recommended 165px x 90px)
- Text Area for Header: This text editor can be used for Ads. You can simply copy & paste your HTML code in the text area, or you’d better upload your own image with a custom text. It will appear on the right side of your logo (Recommended 750px x 90px). Footer
- Logo: You can use this field to upload your custom logo for use in the theme footer. (Recommended 165px x 90px)
- Text Footer: You can add a description of your blog or your contact information. This text will be printed under your website footer’s logo.
Layout Manager: You can use this tool to organize your homepage.
- Featured Image: Turn On or Off ‘featured image’. When off, the featured image will not be shown at the beginning of each article on your blog.
- Author: Turn On or Off the Author Section. When off, the author section will not be visible on your blog. (Note that you add author description and information by clicking on Users > Your Profile.
- Share Buttons: Turn On or Off Share Buttons. When off, Share Buttons will not be visible on your blog.
- You Might Also Like/ Related Posts: Turn On or Off Related Posts. When off, Related posts will not be visible on your blog.
- Font Type & Size for Paragraphs: Customize your blog’s paragraphs font type and size.
- Font Type & Size for Lists: Customize your blog’s lists font type and size.
Import / Export: Import or Export your saved settings.
Using a Child Theme
If you know how to code and you’d like to change some CSS, HTML, PHP, or even add some functions, it’s a good idea to activate and use a child theme instead. All your modifications applied to your child theme won’t be affected when you update your theme. If you’d like to know more about the child theme, here’s a good article that gives more details and explanations: click here.